There is a heightened awareness of the emerging threat of terrorism by unconventional weapons. The most dangerous forms of these weapons are often the most difficult to manufacture, transport, and weaponize because they are volatile, difficult to produce and employ. The response to an incident involving CBR agents is similar to any other incident involving hazardous materials.
IF YOU DISCOVER A CBR INCIDENT:
- Call 911 or the local emergency number.
- Provide the dispatcher with the following information:
- Type of Emergency
- Company Name
- Physical Building Address [not building name]
- Floor and Suite Number
- Telephone Number
- Listen to the dispatcher for any additional instructions before hanging up.
- Call the Management Office.
- Remain calm.
- Isolate the CBR object, area, and those exposed.
- Evacuate the area. Move occupants up wind at least 300 feet away from the contaminated site, closing doors as you move away.
- Notify 911 and the Management Office.
- A partial or full evacuation may be ordered if the incident is deemed credible, or if mandated by the local authorities. The Management Office will call each tenant’s primary contact to inform him or her of the incident.
If danger is unsubstantiated, the building may remain open for business. The Management Office will call each tenant’s primary contact to inform him or her of the incident. It is up to each tenant to decide whether to evacuate the building or remain open for business. If the building remains open and your company chooses to close and evacuate the building, please notify the Management Office so there is a record that your suite is empty. This information will be important if the incident escalates.